Sunday, March 29, 2015

Kenwood Retro Cake Decoration Competition

So many people expressed surprise and doubt when I told them that I have been selected to take part in Kenwood Retro Cake Decoration Competition and that I have never baked any cake in my entire life and I only have experience of decorating my small birthday cake a few years ago. Many non-believers thought I'm crazy and would make a fool of myself in public...cos this competition took place in public at Tangs Marketplace. Even the staff from Phoon Huat looked at me with great surprise when I told them that I needed to buy some nozzles and icing to use in a cake decoration contest and that I have zero baking experience! 

Unlike others who have doubts in my ability, I have never viewed my lack of experience as a serious handicap. Well, my belief is...just because I haven't done it before doesn't mean that I can't do it. I can totally understand where their concerns are coming from cos we are living in a conservative society whereby most people prefer to stick to the safe and tried-and-tested and most people wouldn't attempt something totally unfamiliar to them...well, i'm different...you have to admire me for my courage to do something that I have never done in my entire life and to do it in public in view of everyone!

Since I have never baked any cake in my entire life and I don't have any baking equipment nor accessories at home, I bought 2 nozzles and practiced the night before how to get various designs from twisting the nozzles...I must say that the resulting effects are very much dependent on one's skills...check out my practice designs in the above photo...

I tried drawing on paper to conceptualize the design of the cake the night before the competition but I was too tired and dozed off before I could complete my design...so what you see here is the result of what I thought on the spot during the competition. I always like elegant things and this Victorian-style cake doesn't look that bad for a first time effort ya? ;p 

We were given 3 hours to complete the decoration...and I was the most amateurish amongst all the competitors...some came very well-prepared with their own baked cakes and fondant decor, which I obviously could do neither...lol...the competition took place in public at Tangs Marketplace and I was very much encouraged when members of the public crowded around me to see what I was doing...well, they didn't know that it was the first time that I was decorating a cake of this size...and guess, I didn't appear too nervous ya? Thought it's really nice that some kind folks in the audience praised my work =)

I had plans to use a darker blue icing...but the blue icing was out of stock at the few Phoon Huat outlets that I went to the night before and on the day of the competition...so what you see here is based on whatever I could get...lol
  
The photo collage of my Victorian-style retro cake which was used in the competition...the design of my cake might look simple but I put in a lot of effort during the competition...well, at least I didn't embarrass myself ya? ;p

Selfie with Kenwood mixer after the competition ;p

Selfie with my Victorian-style cake

I brought the cake home and gave it to my dad as a super early birthday cake for him =)

One last thing: one of the greatest pleasures in life is doing what people say I can't do...and this is not arrogance on my part, it's just faith in myself and my abilities...sometimes, I feel that people write others off too easily and too early...don't judge me based on what you think I can't do...

Thanks Kenwood Singapore and Tangs for giving me this wonderful opportunity to express my creativity and to do what I haven't had the opportunity to do previously...this Victorian-style design is an impromptu effort but I don't think it looks bad for an impromptu effort ;p




No comments: